Cabbage is patta gobi in Sindhi. This is my husbands grandmothers (who we all address by mummy) recipe, I have heard that she was great cook and some of her recipes have passed down generations. I am privileged to be able to make them now. This is a quick and yummy curry normally had with chapati, roti, phulka. But try having it with bread it just soaks up the gravy and yumm. The gravy is runny like soup or rasam and the bigger the vegetables are cut the better. The veggies should have a bite to it and should not be overcooked. This is a tangy gravy with the tomatoes and yogurt if you don't like it very tangy just reduce the amount of yogurt.


Ingredients
1/2 cabbage separate each layer and keep them as big as you like.
1 carrot, cut to 1 inch wedges
10 beans, cut to 1 inch pieces
1 potato, cut to 1 inch wedges
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 big tomatoes
2 green chilies
1 inch ginger
1 cup yogurt
fresh coriander leaves for garnish
salt to taste
1/2 cup water

Method

  1. Puree the Tomato, green chilies and ginger together.
  2. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker and fry the onions till golden brown.
  3. Add the spices like coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric. Mix well and cook will oil separates.
  4. Add the tomato puree and cook till oil separates.
  5. Add all the vegetables and mix.
  6. Beat the yogurt well, add it to the cooker.
  7. Add 1/2 cup water or more if required. Add salt.
  8. Give 1 whistle. (Big Cookers just one whistle is enough, I have a smaller one and give 2 whistles, The vegetables have to have a bite to them and should not be overcooked)
  9. Open, adjust consistency, boil if you want to dry it out or add more water and give it a boil for more gravy.
  10. Check seasoning, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.


Other recipe from Mummy
Dhass Karela

Back to Sindhi Recipe List

This goes to Srivalli's Curry Mela.

11 comments:

Cham said...

Girl, u post some different curries! Great i love the colorful veg curry!

notyet100 said...

this looks yum,.nd totally different..

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this kind of curry made from cabage. Your presentation is good.

Unknown said...

wow nice entry... looks delicious.... Perfect click...

RM said...

Hey Medha,
Thats looks niiice !
I have some cabbage in my fridge..I'm gonna try it !
Another great part @ it is you dnt need to sit and chop the cabbage, esp since the ones we get in the US are sooo huuuuuge !
Best Rgds,
Sam !

Illatharasi said...

New and good cabbage recipe:)

Anonymous said...

Thts a very unique curry and the whole cabbage leaves is simply unthinkable ;-)
U have collection of so many unsual recipes medha,now i guess if u will post simple regular recipe post,i wont be convinced that its ur recipe....lolz

Sujatha said...

This is a very different curry for me! I can feel the taste just from the picture.. Perfect curry

Sum Raj said...

this is new recipe...looks healthy too..fantastic entry dear

Bhawana said...

I liked this one when I tried specially the gravy. I was having that like a soup.... mmmmmmm yummy...

vin said...

Hi Medhaa - I am a fellow sindhi and let me tell you how much I enjoyed making and eating this patta kos ji bhajji. Thank you for posting and keep up the good work of blogging sindhi recipes.

I am yet to start my blog but hope to start one soon. Wish me luck :)

~Vindya

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008 : Modified by Medhaa Chabria